Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Re-designing a Mantle

***EDIT***

***When I say yellow - I in NO WAY mean my cousin's adorable yellow kitchen. Her's is an example of yellow done RIGHT.*** That is all. 

So, I have come to realize that my mantle is in serious need of a make-over. Right now it's this cluttered mess with crap strewn all over it.

This is no good. I can't STAND clutter. Something in my OCD brain cringes every time I walk by it. It's also dark wood and the stuff I have on it is all dark as well. It sort of makes the room rather gloomy. Which is sad because the room itself is really bright and airy. I'll post pictures later of what it looks like now. It's depressing.

So, I've come up with a few ideas.

First, I have become OBSESSED with white, ceramic owls. I have no idea why. I'm thinking of ordering these:

Owl Numbah One

Owl Numbah Two

Both of them are so precious! I love the second one's sense of whimsy (see: blog title). She's so cute. The first one looks a bit wiser, and serious (again see: blog title). Anyhow, I thought they would be precious on top of my mantle!

To go with those I have also thought about making some white rose topiary balls. Those are simple enough. Target sells these really cute silver buckets in their dollar spot which I can use for pots. Who doesn't love stuff for a dollar? I know I do. Hello Frugal Frannie!

Yeah...about that.

Anyway. I was also considering buying a very large, wooden letter "A" or "M" and painting it a really fun color, like aqua or yellow to go with my spring theme. Not a school bus yellow, mind you, a very pastel yellow. I feel you must be careful with your yellows or your room can start to look...tacky. I figured adding some color onto the mantle with all of the white would make a cute contrast.

And THEN I thought about having my loverly cousin take me to some thrift stores so I can find a funky mirror for CHEAP and redo it. Do you like how I'm volun-telling you, Kris? Yes, I know you do.

And finally, I thought some cute candle sticks with some colorful candles on them would round the mantle out nicely. 

So yes...that's where my brain is at right now.

-A

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like my mantle! Hah! Just kidding. And you are obsessed with owls BECAUSE Hermione has captured your heart. Duh!

    And yes...a thrift store run is in our near future. I need to go too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes - but do you have balls? Pun totally intended.

    I'm sick, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct--I do not have balls. Of any kind.

    Soon! Maybe one weekend coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid! Pencil me in, busy mama. :)

    ReplyDelete