Monday, November 8, 2010

My Mission

My mission this holiday season is to conquer these:

Cinnamon Rolls 

These are the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls. And oh my goodness, they look decadent. What makes these different is that they are made from scratch. I don't think I have ever made anything from scratch. Well, correction - I tried to bake a cake from scratch once but that did not turn out so well. I forgot the sugar - you put together the rest.

As I have gotten older, my need to forge some sort of domestic life for myself has gotten stronger and stronger. I never thought I would be the type to want to provide and care for others, but here I am, planning to conquer home-made cinnamon rolls.

I suppose to understand where I'm at now, I have to examine where I was. When I was a little girl, my family used to have holiday dinners together. My mother, my dad, my aunt and uncle, my cousins, everyone. Then something happened which tore my family apart. I won't go into that here because it's so convoluted sometimes that I don't even understand it. However, after the dinners stopped, I found myself missing them intensely and promising myself that one day, I would have those dinners again.

So here I am, 28 years old and trying my best to scramble together a life for myself. I am lucky enough to have friends that are like family to me and a boyfriend who has the same goals that I do in life. I hope that soon I can start a family of my own and start new traditions and rekindle old ones.

Until then, I'll settle for the cinnamon rolls.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment